Delays, delays, delays
admin | June 28, 2016 at 4:59 am
In recent times builders and other trades have been in enormous demand, as building work has increased around the country.
This could cause potential problems on your project. People we have talked to have reported huge delays in waiting for builders and other contractors to arrive, only to have them disappear for weeks at a time in the middle of the job. The failure of one trade to turn up on time leads to a domino effect. Re-scheduling everyone is difficult because there are so many people affected.
Other events that can delay work are:
- Hold-ups in getting building or resource consents, also due to council backlogs because of huge demand.
- Bad weather – which the builder can’t control.
- Finishing, for example, the painting takes longer in winter and bad weather.
- Injury to a worker – it may be difficult for the builder to find a suitable replacement.
- Variations – you might have to take some of the responsibility for this if you have asked for lots of changes. Or there could be shortages in the supply of materials, also a result of a high demand in the building industry.